Pages

Sunday, August 06, 2006

days buzzing by

The past few days have been a blur. I know I've been trying to shoot my new assignment as well as re-shoot my old assignment. Turns out my instinct on that was right--I was none too thrilled with my prints, and I kept printing different shots hoping that it would be ok, but I really didn't like any of them. So, I figured I'd end up reshooting it, that's all. When I got my slides processed, I was quite happy. I had enough for all three requirements--shape, line and texture! But the black and white? Blech. And sho' nuff, got my assignment back, and both black and white prints were NP's (No Pass) and need a reshoot, while the slides, passed with flying colors (no pun intended)!

And the funny thing, many other students that were in the darkroom printing with me thought my prints were fine, but they were more critical of their own work, which I might add was fantastic. They were clear, sharp, in focus, well developed, and in the process of being printed well. The composition was done well, the contrast was right...all of it. Mine? Not so much. But I had to hand something in and so I did the best I could. What else can you do?

The next couple of days will be a mad dash to complete everything. I tried to go to Santa Barbara and drive around to get some ideas, but it's Fiesta week, in which they celebrate the old Spanish days. So, the main street and many side streets leading to it were blocked off. And the traffic! 101 was stop and go--it looked like rush hour during the week! So, I got a couple of shots here and there, but then decided to get out of Dodge, so to speak, and headed inland to explore. Well, there's a lot of road out there. And not much else for a while! I went out to the Santa Ynez Recreation area and explored there. I found one hiking trail (not much good while wearing flip flops but did make a mental note for future reference.) And then I drove back! Nothing too exciting there but some of the vistas on the San Marcos are amazing! But, not much room too stop and take pictures...and I, like many of you I'm sure, prefer not to get run over. I like photography, but I like being in one piece much more!!

5 comments:

C said...

Awww - I miss california. Just hearing about it makes me sigh. You are more north than I am from but some areas in the L.A. area are awesome. Like Griffith Park Observatory etc.

C. said...

I definitely need to head down there one day. So far, I've been a little afraid because I don't know the area and I don't know where to go, but I will start with Griffith Park Obs. and if you have any other suggestions, please let me know!!

k said...

did u use the grab utility to get tweety. ;-)

willowtree said...

I have some friends who live directly below the observatory.

C. said...

k,
actually, no. I used my little digi-camera! I have no idea how to use the grab utility (why does that word look misspelled??)