Pages

Sunday, September 17, 2006

another new experience, CA style

When I woke this morning, I knew something was...off. It wasn't gray outside, which usually happens with the marine layer, but it wasn't the bright flood of sun either. Instead of rolling back to sleep, I got up, and the light coming in through the blinds was a glowing orange. I looked outside and the sun was hanging there, an orange ball in the middle of a gray sky, and the smell of smoke heavy in the air. I have bits of ash all over my patio and my plants. I'm lucky-I'm not close enough that my house is in danger but the fires aren't very far away, and now I'm getting the effects as the Santa Ana winds bring this stuff over to the coast. In Florida we also had wildfires-one time they closed I-95 in Jupiter because the flames were too close to the road, but I don't remember ever having ashes falling on us!! Here are some pics...









6 comments:

C said...

I remember the snow ash - especially during this time.

willowtree said...

That's another thing that California and Australia have in common. There are many others things, but we're talking about wildfires right now.

SongBird said...

The possibility of fire really frightens me. We don't have wild fires per se, but we do have large forest fires on occasion. I live surrounded by pines and cedar both of which burn fast and easy. Plus we've been under a burn ban for most of the summer because it is so unusually dry here. It did rain all day today which is a much needed blessing! I hope you stay safe and out of the path of the wildfires.

C. said...

c, i bet that's one thing you don't miss???

Willow...you'll have to fill me in at some point!

Songbird, I'm pretty lucky, I live near the water and the danger here is much less. It's just the wind blowing all the smoke and ash here. Thank God you got rain!!

Karmyn R said...

The fire is scary - and yet, look at what beauty it helped create! (the sunrise)

C. said...

Kamryn, you're right! And the sunset was even better, but unfortunately, didn't have my little digicam with me!