Pages

Monday, September 04, 2006

Goodbye Croc Hunter

I just found out that Steve Irwin has died in a freak stingray accident (from C's blog)! So, I looked it up there it was, in the news. A quote from the news story says, ""He came over the top of a stingray and the stingray's barb went up and went into his chest and put a hole into his heart.""

I am a bit shocked. Stingrays are usually very peaceful creatures and will sting as a defense, not in attack. Usually this happens when they're hidden in the sand and someone steps on them. When I lived in Tampa, I'd go to Clearwater Beach and there were times of the year when there would be schools of stingrays hanging out in the shallow waters near shore. Most people knew to shuffle as you walked so that if there was a stingray around, it would have a chance to swim away. In fact, a website on stingrays even says, "However, it should be pointed out that the sting is purely a defensive weapon only and that the "striking" action is an involuntary response rather than a conscious "attack." See
stingray article.

All I can imagine is that the stingray somehow got spooked and that was that. I can't even imagine what his wife and kids are going through. So sad. I'm sure many people will think that in his line, it was only a matter of time, and that could well be, but by a stingray? It's just odd. I wouldn't have been as shocked had it been an animal known to be deadly, you know, an animal with a reputation.

I just hope that people don't panic about stingrays and start harming them. They are beautiful creatures! They deserve our protection and respect. And I'm sure that Steve Irwin would have agreed.

11 comments:

Susan in va said...

I was so sad to hear this news. He was one of my (and my kids) favorites.

C said...

Isn't it such a bizarre twist of fate.

willowtree said...

They are at great pains to point out that Irwin is only the third person in Aust to be killed by one.
He was swimming along on top of it for a while and it changed directions suddenly. The whole thing was a tragic accident and no-one blames the 'ray.

Karmyn R said...

I can't help but think how this man "cheated death" all the time - messing around with poisonous snakes, crocodiles, etc. And then in some weird freaky fluke, he was killed by a fairly docile creature. So sad for anyone to end life so young.

C. said...

I just caught some of the CNN coverage and luckily, they are making clear that the stingray only strikes in defense, and it's known as a docile creature.

Willow, the reason I worry about something like this is that I've seen that many people here are too willing to give in to their fears--good example..growing up I used to hang out down at the inlet where many people fished. One guy caught a nurse shark and was going to kill it/let it die just because it was a shark. At least that time, I was there and made him throw it back, but I saw other people doing the same with barracuda (not edible). These people, instead of learning how these creatures live, acted ignorantly and that's what worries me!

C said...

People need to learn to co-habitate with nature - we'll only kill ourselves off if we mess with the natural food chain. During Paelolithic times a lot of animals became extinct because they were overhunted and now we continue what less educated men/women did.

k said...

hey you know enough html to fix that link girlie!

Doppleganger said...

The worst part is, his death was filmed and YOU KNOW there is going to be a battle for that video and then it will be shown over and over and over again. It's horrible!

Swampwitch said...

I can only think of his wife, daughter, and son since I heard the news...such a loss of a vibrant person...

C. said...

DG...I didn't mention this because it just pissed me off but on the CNN thingamajiggy I saw, they had his best friend/producer call...and he was there when it happened. The asshole TV guy had the audacity to ask whether it had been filmed and whether anyone had seen it yet!! WHAT AN ASSS!!!!!

Swampwitch, I agree. I can't even begin to comprehend the devastating loss they must feel! It gives me chills to think about it.

M J said...

Such a tragedy. He was so full of passion and life. I was heartbroken when I heard.

I hope that his wife and kids will be OK.

Thanks for popping over to my place! I shall return...

~ marnie