Pages

Sunday, September 03, 2006

What in tar-nations?

This afternoon, I decided to abandon my house-slug ways and go down to the beach to enjoy some sun and heat. It was nice. Very nice. I walked down and over the railroad. I could smell the salt in the air, (deep breath...) and I took my walk along the beach. From previous trips to the beach, I have already tar-stained two pairs of flip-flops without ever knowing I had tar on my feet.

So today, as I walked, I tried to be careful about the tar. Growing up in Florida, when I went to the beach and got tar on my feet, I knew about it almost immediately because the globs of tar there were big. It was like stepping in shit-you knew when it happened! I would try to find a shell or two to scrape off as much as possible and then, once I got home, the alcohol bottle and cotton balls would be brought outside--we weren't allowed back in the house until all the tar was gone from our feet. I learned to look for those tar globs and avoid them. That was my goal today.

As I walked, I realized that it's a losing battle out here! The tar I saw today was practically thin as paper and waiting in ambush for any feet right along the wave line! And they're all over the beach. Some are the size of...of, confetti! If you step in tar and it's a glob about 2 inches long and about 1/2 inch thick, you know you've stepped in it. However, if you step on it and it's 1/2cm x 1 micron thick, you're not going to feel it! (I don't even know how thin a micron is...I just think it's got to be really thin...and it gets my point across..)

I gave up and just continued walking. Once I was ready to go home, I looked at the bottom of my feet and sho' nuff-there were multiple globs and dots of tar!! What a pain!

6 comments:

C said...

Did you let yourself in the house? hee hee

When I lived in California, I always had that shit on my feet for days. I did not know it could come off with alcohol and cotton balls.

Thanks.

C. said...

Yes I did!! :P
And I found that nailpolish remover also works!!

Karmyn R said...

That makes me sad - Tar on the beach? Okay - come to Oregon - we do not have tar on the beach!! At least, I have never seen any.

C. said...

Kamryn, you're right...it is sad. I don't know where it comes from (might be the oil derricks out in the channel???hmmm..) I guess on the bright side, it's congealed, and it's on the beach for people like me to step on and get it off the beach!!
I have been to Oregon and it's probably one of the purest places I have visited. I love it (but I don't do cold and rain very well...will post on that eventually..)

willowtree said...

Boy I'm glad Karmyn said something, I didn't know what you were talking about. I've never seen it, but I'm sure its from all those derricks.

C. said...

Willow, I'm sure this won't be the last time you don't know what I'm talking about!! LOL! but yeah, all along the water line are teeny bits of tar. It's gross.