Pages

Thursday, October 05, 2006

home...



This picture is taken from a postcard I bought before coming out here. Willowtree's post today made me miss the warm, blue waters of home. My family moved to this little paradise when I was 8 years old. If you look at the where the beach ends moving down from the top of the picture, you'll notice a little building in the water and then a jetty. That was my spot. My oldest sister taught me to snorkel when I was about 9 and I became a regular little fish.

I would head to the beach with snorkeling gear and just swim around the jetty for hours. As I got older, I bought a dive flag so that I could head into the inlet, sticking close to the rocks and out of boaters' ways! The timing had to be right...always on the incoming tide so that I could just let the currents carry me down to a pre-determined spot and climb out on the rocks! Attempting this at low tide? Never! The currents would have just pushed me out to sea!

When I wasn't snorkeling, I would still swim around the rocks, climbing out and getting back in right there...I mean, why bother heading back to the beach if I didn't have to?? At high tide, the water would be about 15-20 feet deep and I had a particular rock I could dive straight into the water from (without hitting the other rocks..very important!) In the water itself, I had a "tunnel" I would swim through...both with mask and without. It was just one huge rock resting on top of two smaller ones with nothing on either side to block the passage. I was the local mermaid!

After the hurricanes that hit the area, my little tunnel is now blocked. My diving post is gone. All through the power of that water. I still miss it.

11 comments:

Karmyn R said...

The water is gorgeous. True paradise - However, I think it would be a great place to visit for a long time (2 months in Jan and Feb)....but, I love autumn. it is my favorite time of the year and I wouldn't miss it for all the blue paradises in the world.

Nihilistic said...

I miss your rock tunnel now too! :(

Matt said...

That place looks so beautiful.... I'm reminded of the end of The Shawshank Redemption when they're on the beach and it's a happy ending....

What a place to grow up....

Anonymous said...

Gee Claud, they are great memories, just like the stuff movies are made of. (Disney, not HBO).

BTW were you a bit of a tomboy?

C said...

That's a great memory of a childhood activity!

C. said...

Karmyn, many people feel the same as you...which is why one of the games in the winter is "spot the Florida tag." There were so many NY, NJ and Canada plates that sighting a FL one was amazing!! I love the early fall and I love the spring....I just don't do the in-between.

Nihilistic, thanks! :)

matt, yeah, I realize I'm spoiled and I wonder if growing up in such a place has given me unrealistic expectations of life!!

Willow, amazing that it actually is true..sigh...
and..tomboy? me? hehe.. when it was too cold to be in the water (you know, the water temp below 80F) I'd be climbing trees, riding my bike, hopping around the rocks!! Amazingly, not much damage was done!

C, oh, I have lots of memories!! :)

Laura said...

I'm a native prairie girl. Born in Iowa, live now in Nebraska. I can't even imagine living on a beach.

But, it looks idyllic.

Anonymous said...

you have me singing "flipper, flipper"....

or are you all too young for that show?

Florida is one of the places I have yet to visit.

C. said...

Laura, yeah, I can't imagine not living near a beach!

Pamela, I remember seeing re-runs but I don't remember the song! But they did shoot it in the Keys!! :)

Julie said...

Pamela - Now you have me singing Flipper, Flipper! I loved Flipper.

C - seeing that photo takes me away. I can just imagine myself right on the beach! And your post has me snorkeling and swimming right there with you.

C. said...

Julie, Let's go!!!!