Pages

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

jiggy

I am actually home in time to watch Gilmore Girls tonight!! I can't believe it. I. am. home.
And it's not even 8! I am thrilled!! Positively jubilant!! Oh...wow. I even had dinner at a friend's house!! I actually have a semblance of a social life outside of the photo lab!! I know you can't see me...but I'm doing a little jig right now...I would try the Dance of Joy, but I don't think I'm really that limber so this jig will have to suffice.

I have spent the past month in the lab on Monday and Tuesday nights, either processing or printing assignments. The lab closes at 1 and a couple of times I have nearly been there as they throw me out close. I have posted pictures that I've done, but in case you might have been wondering about the camera I get to use. It is a 4x5 camera. It's a heavy, awkward camera that is causing me incredible frustration as I learn to make it do what I want. I've tried talking to it, "ok..come on....work with me...." This is supposed to work in photography, isn't it? Try telling that to my camera. I'm going to call it the Mule. 1. you need a mule to lug that thing around..it's heavy. 2. It's stubborn.

When my mom was here, she looked at it and made a really weird face. "I didn't think they used anything likethat anymore. It looks like what they used to use 100 years ago." Well, she was right about that. Anyways, despite my grumbling, this camera does take some fabulous pictures. The quality is great and I know that when I have mastered this Mule, I'll be happy. In the meantime, I am wasting an incredible amount of film and developer learning. But tonight...tonight it's all ok because I am home. And I am watching Gilmore Girls.

8 comments:

Matt said...

So what's the point of using such an antiquated camera? So you can wear that top hat you have?

I have a friend who teaches at a small arts college and she says all of the artists prefer to shoot primarily w/ digital.

So what sort of degree are you working on w/ all of this photography and do you do anything else?

I remember at my liberal arts college all of the "visual" artists had to explain what they do. One guy'd be like, "I work primarily with used bicycle tires, paper napkins, used toothpicks (not the new ones, what would be the value there?) and '70s vintage ties.

Another guy might just work with sand and glass jars.

I was like, "What happened to painting or even sculpture?"

We got guys building elaborate installations made out of frickin' metal garbage cans, discarded two-by-fours and dead cats.

SongBird said...

Claudia, I totally know what you mean about actually having some "free" time at home!!! And good luck with the Mule!!

C. said...

Actually, only those that are good with the camera get to wear the top hat. I'm not there yet. It's a goal. I will also have to buy a big long poofy skirt, corset and those high heeled lace-up boots and wear my hair up.

We've had this same talk in class...the basics will always be the basics. You can put a digital back on these cameras and get your picture, but if you can get it right in the camera, then you won't have to spend as much time trying to correct it on the computer.

I never got the whole "make a statement" bullshit. I believe in art for beauty...or expressing what one feels. I had a friend who took and art class and got a C because her work didn't "speak to a cause."

Julie said...

Claudia - when you graduate to a top hat we must see a photo. One of my very best friends is a professional photographer. She went to the Denver School of Arts (or something like that) and she had to do the same thing. She is always telling me that if I have it right in the camera I won't have to sweat it on the computer. I have learned a lot from her. :) Good job and good luck! Keep at it!

Matt said...

That's awful that your friend was graded down for failing to come out on Darfur or lesbianism or Chiapas. Maybe sometimes the effect a piece of art has on the beholder could be... inexplicable.

Yes, we actually have at least one word to describe the phenomenon wherein we cannot use language to explain something.

Language is not everything. That said, I absolutely loved the "justifications" the artists would use. I loved how they were forced to describe their thought processes in one or two paragraphs.

Yeah, my friend actually teaches the basics in college and said the same thing. There's always somthing to be said for being able to take care of business on a basic level, to maintain basic competency. I recall a movie about an Italian mobster who arrived home after a hard day of whacking people and breaking kneecaps only to find his wife absent and his kitchen a horrible mess. The maid was nowhere in sight. He took off his jacket and got down on his hands and knees and scrubbed and the place was spotless.

On so many levels, he took care of business.

C. said...

Julie, thank you! Although I'm in my second session, I've already learned quite a bit, and as much as I grumble, I think it's interesting to do these "experiments" (our technical assignments) to see what happens here or there. I've seen the shots you post...I still love the horses!

Matt, very true, language is not everything! and people have different emotions and see things differently..so why try to label some things? Let it be!!
Interesting about the movie...I wish someone would scrub my floor! :)

Doppleganger said...

Camera - Shamera - the most important thing is what did you think of GG?

C. said...

I want to smack Lorelei! Good god she's becoming a pain!