Pages

Sunday, October 08, 2006

the rules of engagement

Last night, I went out for a beer with my friend and her boyfriend. We went to the local sports bar, and we were hanging out at the bar, talking, when someone taps my shoulder. Yes?
"I just wanted to talk to you." Um..ok...

So, this drunk guy that I had had my back to actually tapped me on the shoulder, interrupting our conversation, just because he wanted to...talk. WTF?? I mean, I'm certainly not the most socially adept person-I'll chat with most anyone, and make random comments to total strangers, but even I know not to interrupt.

Because really, what do you say after that? It's sort of like when someone finds out you speak a different language and they go, "oh, say something in that language!" and follow it with "what did you say?" If you can't understand it, don't ask!

I really felt like saying, "ok, you've talked to me. Happy?" and then gone back to my own conversation but I find it hard to be that mean...what a sucker! But I tried giving him the hint, by keeping my back mostly turned, leaning away when the guy tried to lean in...no luck. I should've known better since he totally interrupted to begin with but he kept on trying to make conversation....the guy even told me how much he earns!! UGH!! Those are not things to bring up. SHEEESH!! What ever happened to normal chit-chat? I think he was pretty drunk because a couple of times he had a hard time getting the words out, but thank God my friends saved me!! We moved to a table.

11 comments:

SongBird said...

Jerk!! Good manners have become a lost art.

Karmyn R said...

Whenever my friends and I went out - I always seemed to be a "weird-drunk magnet". I wish I could tell you how to get rid of that mojo.

Coffeypot said...

I would tell him that if his goal was to get laid, then his best bet would be to crawl up a chicken's ass and wait.

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you wrote this post. For years I have used exactly the same technique, with very little success. I thought it was me, or that maybe I was a little too drunk.

But as you have pointed out, it didn't work for him either so it must be the technique. Phew, looks like I really am a stud-muffin after all!!

Julie said...

Oh thank you for posting this. I was starting to think I was the only freak magnet. I mean not at a bar since I haven't been to one in ages, but twice in one week (this past week). If you find a cure for the freak/geek/nerd magnetism let me know.

Anonymous said...

What about animals.....?
do dogs try to jerk off their leashes and run up to you?
(;
Thats the only thing I could think of that is anywhere in the neighborhood of being some kind of a "magnet"
(I wonder if I smell like an old bone or something)

Matt said...

Well, first things first! Do share! ...How much did he make?

And I cannot believe you're not a little quicker on the fly, dude, because you have the ultimate trump card.

Drunk man: Hey, hey, I just want to talk.

Claudi: Mi scusi?

Nihilistic said...

"Oh my god...that's all you make?" Then he runs away...

C. said...

Songbird, really!!

Karmyn, I usually try to give off my "i don't want to talk to you so leave me alone" vibe but this was a sneak attack!!!

Coffeypot, hello and welcome!! I love that line! I'm going to have to remember that!

Willow, of course you're a stud-muffin! It was just the wrong approach!! :)

Julie, looks like Karmyn, you and I should go out and have a good laugh!!

Pamela, why didn't I think of it before...pure animal magnetism!!

matt! you're shameless!! hehe...4k! happy? and really, I don't think that would have worked considering I was talking to my friends..in English!!

Nihilistic, you know, for Santa Barbara, that probably would have worked!! hehe...

Anonymous said...

Man, I am soooo glad I'm not single! I can't be rude either.

C. said...

I know!! In college I had a guy hit on me when I was very much drunk and it irked me to no end that when I'm reasonably buzzed or sober, the guys wouldn't hit on me--that's the one time I was quite rude..."wtf is your problem. Leave me the f- alone!"