Pages

Friday, October 13, 2006

winter approaches...

Last night I conked out early...I could barely keep my eyes open, so I didn't fight it. Just went to sleep. This morning, I awoke to the sound of rain. I love waking up to the sound of rain falling, it's so peaceful. But then, I want it to stop. However, from what I hear, rain is quite common here in the winter. Great. My sinuses are going to love this. For some reason, cold and rain, especially the two combined, send my sinuses into an absolute tizzy.

So, it seems that southern Cali might have seasons after all...fire season and water season. One sends ashes out of the sky, the other...well, water. In Florida, we had two seasons as well...hurricane season and tourist season. See? Similarities?? (not.)

I miss the sudden warm rains of Florida. The day might be perfectly sunny and then you see a wall moving towards you, and the sound of a thousand raindrops hitting simultaneously. And you run for it!! But, it catches up to you and you are soaked within 30 seconds, but it's warm. And then, just as quickly as it came, it's gone. And the sun comes back, full force as the steam rises off the pavement. sigh...

Speaking of missed photo ops like Julie wrote about a while back. I was in Fl and decided to go for a walk along the beach. I walked down to the where the condos are, which is maybe a mile or so from the house. As I turned to head back home, I saw it. A massive black cloud moving in from the south over the water. However, the sun was still hitting the water below it, lighting it up under the darkness. And the lightning! It was amazing!! If you can imagine it...a sunlit turquoise ocean under a huge blue-black cloud with lightning zigging all over. I so wanted my camera!! DAMMIT. Then reality did set in. I was on the beach. With lightning. A mile from home.
Oh well...I just walked back. I figured if it was going to get me, it was going to get me. I just hoped that the rain would hold off. And it did. I was barely in front of the house when I felt the first drops...and then I ran for it.

10 comments:

Matt said...

I missed some good fall photo ops this morning as I rushed to work. Didn't have my camera. God, if I had sick days,this might have been a good one!

Hey, cheer up there.

Anonymous said...

I think you are being a bit simplistic when you say Californians only have two seasons.

They actually have three: Fire season, rain season and mudslide season. Newcomers like yourself tend to lump rain and mudslide season together, but that is just plain wrong. And don't forget earthquake season which lasts all year.

Nihilistic said...

I usually pack my camera everywhere I go...and the day I don't...DAMN!!!!

C. said...

Matt...insightful. thanks.

Willow, for a second, I actually thought you were calling me simple!! It's probably true about the mudslides...I suppose would it be a sub-season? because they wouldn't happen without the rain, no?

Nihilistic...you got that right!!

Anonymous said...

You did a good job creating a mental picture of the moment.....although a real one would have been fabulous!

Karmyn R said...

I find it odd that you have rain there in Southern Cali - while we have been DRY as a Bone here in Oregon. Hmmmm....what's up with that???

Anonymous said...

We normally have 2 seasons in Vancouver too...

Rainy Season and Construction.

The rainy season usually lasts from September to May. Every day. Gray. Rain. Dark.

BUT! From June until now I can probably count the number of rainy days on one hand. Very unusual. Currently it is 75 degrees in my apartment and I have all the doors and windows open.

I'm not bragging, really.

OK, maybe I am.

Anonymous said...

hey... I enjoyed this post. I was with you looking at the big cloud...
love that stuff

Mouse said...

In Brittany we 'seem' to have:
'Canicule' season
Monsoon Season
La Rentree Season
and of course it's always
Aperitif Season
but then I've only been here 5 weeks...
and there have been a LOT of aperitifs

C. said...

Susan and Pamela...thnks...the real thing was incredible.

Karmyn, Bone dry? In Oregon? What is up with that???

MJ...brag away!! It's better than continuous rain!!

Mouse, I know you had explained "Canicule" but I don't remember!! However, I am always up for Aperitif season!!