Pages

Thursday, November 09, 2006

I am a picture without compare...

I had to go to Home Depot today to pick up a quart of my yellow paint so I can finish one more wall. While my paint was in the fantabulous paint-can shaker, I went and browsed at other colors. When I returned, the previous three men working the counter had disappeared leaving one guy with "Mister" tattoed on his arm in script, and a long line. I took my place in line behind a old man with a full beard, thick glasses and an old painter's cap as "Mister" ran around trying to help everyone.

We waited. I knew that one of the cans shaking right in front of me was mine, and, being the chatty sort, I indicated the shaking machine and told Mr. Painter next to me, "Hear that? One of these is mine." He answered, "Well, one of those is not one of mine!" And we both laughed. (why is it that if he had been some incredibly gorgeous guy, I probably would not have said a word...just ogled in silence???)

Mr P: Ah you're just going to take it home and have someone else paint anyways!
Me: Oh no. I'm painting!
He looked at me astounded: You are?
Me: Oh yeah.
Mr. P: Are you painting inside or outside?
Me: Inside.
Mr P: Yeah, then you're painting.

Me: I'm not allowed to paint outside. It's not my house.
Mr P, looking sideways at me: Aaaah. Well, if you could paint it, what color would you paint it?
Me: Hmmm...I'm a big fan of white and red. It's a nice cheery look.
Mr P looks at my purple shirt: Why not purple?
Me with an incredulous look on my face: On a house? I don't think so.
Mr. P: If we were in Mexico, you would.
Me: Ah, but we're not, are we?
We both laughed again.

Mr P: In Mexico, they paint all sorts of colors.
Me: Oh I know! I'm from Florida. Certain neighborhoods have a bright pink house, right next to the bright green house, next to the purple house, next to the yellow house...
Mr P: They would do that here if we let them.
Me: It does have a certain charm.
Mr P: Then you wouldn't know if you're in Florida or California!
Me (laughing): Oh, I think you'd know!!

Then Mister came and pulled out a paint can, and plopped it on the counter. Mr. P says, "Well, there you go."The little dab of paint on top of the gallon can was brown.
Me: Oh, that's not mine!
Mr.P: Well, that's good because that is not a color for inside the house!
Me: No, definitely not!

Mr. P had a part of a medium green door frame that he needed to match. As we stood waiting and chatting, he told me about the lady he's doing some house work for...how she's fixing the house up to rent and she's moving to Indiana. We both agreed-who moves to Indiana for the winter??? He said he told her she'd be back. Mister finally came around again and pulled out my little quart, undoes the lid and puts the little dab of yellow on top.

Mr P looked at me over his glasses: Are you sure you're not in Mexico??

I didn't have the heart to tell him I have lime green and turquoise in the kitchen and that one of the walls in the living room is going to be red. We were having fun now. Mister came around again and pulled out two more paint cans. Being nosy, we started looking at those colors. One was a fuschia and the other was called guava jam.
Me: Ooh, I like that one!

Mr P. finally handed Mister his partial door frame and Mister went off to do the color match. I think Mister was starting to get annoyed with us because we were having fun and he wasn't. As it was time for me to go, we introduced ourselves. My new friend's name is Paul. As I told him my name (several times so he could understand it) he told me it's a beautiful name.
"Thank you, Paul"

"It means.... a picture without compare."

28 comments:

Claudia said...

This sooooo beat the guy with the dead rat!!

Willowtree said...

There a pretty colourful Victorians up in San Francisco. There are also some strange colours in San Jose.

SongBird said...

Love this post!! Very colorful...LOL....

Shauna said...

How sweet. . .Usually any lumberyard - hardware store experience is awful. . .Now, you've practiced with an older man - you're ready for Mr. Gorgeous. . . :)

C said...

Our name is beautiful

Crankster said...

That's beautiful. I love it when you have these wonderful little connections with total strangers. It's the kind of thing that can make you feel good all day.

Pamela said...

loved the conversation. Isn't it fun to open up dialogue with a complete stranger and discover that you have something in common.


There is an old turn of the century house about 1/4 mile from us, that was painted all victorian colors. red blue pink orange...etc. Sort of circus style. (Yeah like Circus Circus) Someone told me that the wife of one of the R.E.M. band had purchased it. It was white before she bought it.

I never see ANYONE THERE except for weddings etc. Like maybe it's rented out for such things.

Lovely name, too.

Claudia said...

Willow, I remember seeing that in the movie Sweet November. Any idea what neighborhood that might be?? I really have to get up there one of these days!

Songbird..thanks!

Shauna...so much easier said than done. If I have no romantic interest, I can open conversation so easily...once I'm face to face with someone I'm interested in, I just get all shy and can't talk! It's a curse, I think...

C...yes, we do!

Crankster and Pamela...
very true. I wish it would happen more often.
The Victorian house near you sounds very cool. In Baltimore certain neighborhoods had more color than others...it was great!

the Laughorist said...

We just had our house painted purple (plum) with green trim. I did it for two years previous, then hired someone this year. The previous neighbors hated it; we overheard them (well, we did darken it a little). It's original -- and looks good.

Claudia said...

Laughorist, welcome!
I don't know that I would have the nerve to do it...I guess I'm a bit conservative but on the inside! Watch out...I actually love the look of those houses, I just don't know if I could pull it off! If you want, send or post a pic!!

Steven Novak said...

Guava jam.

Sounds like mashed up bugs yo put on toast. ;)

Steve~

mist1 said...

What color house does Paul live in?

Karmyn R said...

Next stop - talking to the hunky guy in your new running shoes!!!

swampwitch said...

Very colorful post. Enjoyed it.
Guava jam?

Doppleganger said...

Thanks for the great story, although that's usually your MO.

Sometimes I can start a conversation with a complete stranger, in Wisconsin that's not unusual - it's a friendly place - but in Florida it's harder.

You would think a much more laid back place like Florida would have more laid back people to talk to - not so much - at least in the Tampa Bay area.

Claudia said...

Steve, YUMMY bugs, let's get that straight...

Mist, I don't think I'll ever find out, thank you...

Karmyn...eek...I'm getting all flustered just thinking about it!

DG...he reminded me a bit of someone we know...I can totally see Eich being like that when he's old! And really, most of the time people humor me or just give me weird looks. oHwell.

Heather said...

Mmm. I love lime green.

Matt said...

Oh, you know me. I'd probably paint my house white if I could....

Claudia said...

Heather...with turquoise...I'm pretending to be in the Caribbean...


Matt...what no diversity?? :P I still love ya...

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

That didn't paste right. hmm.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/
dc_styles_other/article/
0,1793,HGTV_3526_1382531,00.html

Susan in va said...

I'm afraid I'll get lost in your sea of comments, Claudia! Like everyone else, I appreciated this colorful post (I'm also a big fan of dialogue posts). Don't forget "Rainbow Row" in New Orleans....or is it in Charleston. Doesn't matter - they both have a long colorful row of houses.

swampwitch said...

RE: Elmo... Yippee! I am posting here to save you from having to keep checking back at my place.
We will pay for him and the postage.
Please e-mail me at:
kathyschmoldt@hotmail.com
You are great...Junior will be thrilled.

Nihilistic said...

You big flirt!!

Claudia said...

Melissa, thank you. That was very cool and I've bookmarked it. Like I told Willow, one of these days, I'm heading up there.

Susan, don't worry, I see you!! You, and the others, were right...there are many colorful neighborhoods here in the US as well. People tend to forget that!


Swampy..email's waiting for you...


Nihilistic...a great big MWAAAH to you!

Melissa said...

Claudia, I live in the Bay Area and I never go to San Francisco. I bet you get there before me. ;) Glad you liked the link!

Odat said...

I love when you have fun waiting on lines....btw, I would paint my house purple! lol
Peace

Claudia said...

Melissa, since you are in the area, when I do come up, I'll have to let you know and we can meet for coffee or lunch!! :)

Odat, yes, most of the times I get odd looks or the very restrained answers with the underlying "leave me alone you weirdo" msg. I think you probably would have a very fabulous purple house...maybe one day I will be able to work that out...but not yet. When I was in Ireland, I loved the white houses with red trim and red shutters and beautiful hanging flower baskets....