Pages

Friday, November 24, 2006

it's that time...

Yesterday was great. As self-imposed exiles, we decided to get together and enjoy a meal in solidarity. We shared stories, we shared gossip, we embarassed each other and we bonded. Amongst our group, we have varying ideals and outlook and we respect each other's right to hold that belief, even though we may not share it or even comprehend the view. Mutual respect and tolerance, it's a good thing. We are each other's adopted family here.

Today, I'm sure hordes of people got up at some insane hour of the morning, the time at which some people are just getting home from a fun night out. I cannot comprehend getting up that early to head out fighting the masses for a sale.
Point 1...I don't do crowds. I get tunnel vision and sensory overload. I go into survival mode in which my thoughts run something like "would these assholes get the fuck out of my way so I can leave?" This mindset is not conducive to fun shopping.

Point 2... I like my sleep. I'm sure I can buy whatever it is I need to get after I wake up. In fact, if I wait till tomorrow, I'm pretty sure that many people will be home exhausted and recovering while I'll be well rested and have (slightly) shorter lines.

The rush is on. I'll be hearing Christmas tunes most places. I might even find myself at the grocery store singing along as I browse the aisles. Christmas cards, wrapping paper, decorations will bloom like weeds in mid-summer. I'll be tempted to buy things I don't need. I might even give in here and there...

11 comments:

Willowtree said...

I used to love both flying and malls, now I'm not fond of either.

I'm glad you got to celebrate, sounds like you had a good day. I'd prefer strangers to family, but that's just me.

Crankster said...

My sister and wife were both working retail at the Black Friday sales today. I'm impressed by them, but couldn't handle it.

The CEO said...

Given your preferences, why not shop on-line? I'm looking for the Cuban coffee on-line.

I'm also glad that you found people to be with yesterday, rather than sitting home alone. The holidays can be brutal when you're alone.

Claudia said...

Willow, I like to think of my friends as the family that I did get to choose. Usually it's a different dynamic than the blood family.

Crankster, my hat goes off to both of those ladies. I couldn't handle it myself.

CEO, some things I do. But I also love the whole experience of going to a shop and browsing...the look, the feel of things in my hands, the smells...I just go into sensory shock if there are too many people jostling and too much noise.

Pamela said...

I turned on the radio this morning and got Christmas songs. turned it off, but I couldn't turn it off at work.

And I hate shopping. I'm going to do some serious internet shopping tomorrow, I think. Crowds and bumping elbows and pushing and shoving. No Thank you.

I'd rather soak my feet..

Glad you had a good day

JR's Thumbprints said...

Well Claudia,
I survived Black Friday, thanks to my wife. Luckily, I was half asleep as we jostled our way through the crowds.

Mouse said...

I hate crowds too!
I once sat on the grass in Hyde Park with a few hundred people milling around me and, as is my habit when I stop moving, I fell asleep and when I awoke 20 minutes later there were 100,000 complete strangers (and The Ragazza and friend) all around me. Total nightmare and I will never again go to The Party In The Park!

Claudia said...

Pamela, luckily I've only heard the Christmas songs at the grocery store. I like shopping but not with so many people....like you said, no thank you!!

Jr...your wife must be one tough lady.

Mouse, that sounds like a complete nightmare. I've gone to festivals but now I find a place to sit and people-watch, out of the way of the traffic.

Irene said...

Glad to know you had a great time celebrating the holiday the precise way you wanted it. Hope the coming Christmas will be as perfect for you. =)

Karmyn R said...

You are one smart lady!!!

My husband left with his sister at 4:30 for Circuit City to get thumbdrives and other stuff. They waited in line for over an hour and came home without the thumbdrives (sold out before they got into the store).

I stayed at his parents and slept with the kids....figured someone needed to have a good night's sleep to drive home!!!

Those people are CRAZY!

Odat said...

Oh I so agree with you about shopping and crowds.....after all there are always sales...
Peace