Pages

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

back home

Being back home is great. Christmas Eve, I spent the morning snorkeling. The water was a bit cold to get in, but once I was in, it was perfect. With the winter storms having eaten up a large amount of the beach, more rocks than usual were exposed... providing more housing and protection for fish. I even saw a ray hanging out at the end of the jetty. I dove down to the side of it...we blinked and watched each other for a bit. Amazing!

I'm glad I took advantage of that because, of course, Christmas day was busy with opening presents and family dining. And then, the rain. A rain the way it's meant to be--big fat droplets plopping down so hard and fast it's almost hard to see ten feet ahead. This was the cold front moving through. I saw on the news that the high today would have been around 68, and the surf temp? 76. What the hell am I doing in Cali?? Oh, yeah...that school thing!! (muttering under my breath...yeah, yeah, it's my own damn fault...)
I am glad I could come back even if for a little while. It gives me the incentive to keep going so I can come back and have a decent job (and one I enjoy.)

This is home for me. I see things that have been there for ages. I also sometimes find myself confused as to where I am in areas that have been developed and I no longer recognize. It's a mix of old and new. The old buildings, what I call old Florida, are generally one story...low to the ground to combat the heat of summer. The new ones...built taller and larger with the concept of air conditioning in mind. In the town I grew up, some of the old houses have been torn down and the new "McMansions" built in their place. On one of the streets, I thought that they had built an apartment building because there is practically no yard...the building takes up the full lot. How ugly. I'll have to take some pictures and write the stories!

14 comments:

Pamela said...

snorkeling on Christmas.
That would be me, snuggled clear beneath the covers with just my nose peeking above the waves of comforter for the air.

(:

Glad you are having a restful and wonderful holiday. (in spite of the McMansions)

mist1 said...

Today, Dad and I drove by his childhood home. I thought about how strange it must be to drive by and not go in. I complain about it, but I do love going home.

The CEO said...

When's the first novel coming out?

Doppleganger said...

Sounds like a great day to spend when back home.

Claudia said...

Pamela, thank God for warm blankets!!

Mist, my mom occasionally talks of selling the house and the thought of not being here is just wrong. I definitely understand.

CEO...are you writing a novel?? :)

DG...I don't want to go back!!!

Matt said...

It's a strange thing, going home.

It seems as if nothing is "new" of Vermont. I'm jealous of your snorkeling.... Sounds like fun.

Odat said...

Home sweet home!! a good feeling indeed!
Glad you enjoyed it.
Peace

Nihilistic said...

I can't imagine going swimming in December...Way too cold here for that.

Melissa said...

Sounds like a peaceful way to spend the day. Glad you're back!

Claudia said...

Matt, it used to feel like that for me too, and then, all of a sudden, things were different. Now, I'm wishing that they weren't so changed. It seems that the developers are taking over and the old relaxed life is disappearing.

Odat...I really can't wait to come back for good.

Nihilistic...for me, the Cali water was too cold even in summer!! brrrr..

Melissa...it really is. I still have about a week left and I am trying to enjoy it as much as I can!

Robin said...

Claudia...I PROMISE I left a comment here the other day...sheesh! I must not have word verified or something :(. Who knows what I said, I can't remember what I wore yesterday, lol.

Anyway, cool, I think I said you were snorkeling, I was shooting guns at Christmas. As a BEACH LOVER!!! I envy anything having to do with it, snorkeling sounds wonderful to me.

I think I said something about not being able to go home again....that it's always odd to return and see change--the familiar "fits" so much better (damnable McMansions...!).

What's your California New Year's look like? :)

Susan in va said...

(I'm with Robin - I thought I left a comment here yesterday!!!)

Dorothy said it best, "There's no place like home."

And snorkeling at Christmas? My DH would be sooooo jealous. Me? Not so much. I've never been a huge fan of swimming with sea critters.

Jenny said...

Snorkeling on Christmas? Insane. But terribly cool. :)

Claudia said...

Robin, yes, I am a beach lover too. I am loving my time here, I'm here through the 4th and I have no idea what I am doing for New Years. I can honestly say that I hope it's warm enough to go to the beach!! LOL...the WF gets me too!! I'll have to undo it and hope no spam makes it through.

Susan, yep...I'm beginning to understand the Illiad much better now.

Jenny...yes, and if things go well, on New Years too!!