Pages

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Ol' Folks back home

I called my mom to wish her a happy birthday and see how her day was. She had a very busy day and told me all about it. I last spoke with her a couple of days ago but our call was cut short when she informed me,"The cabinet under the sink is flooding! Gotta go!"

So, today she filled me in. The metallic pipe under the sink had corroded to the point that it finally formed a hole. My mom had the kitchen redone probably within the past 10 years. Why she didn't have PVC pipe under there is beyond me. Sometimes, it's easier not to question. So, she tells me that my dad (stepdad actually but whatever...that's for another time) started telling her all sorts of things to do. "Get a bucket! Put a bucket underneath." This, of course, was after she had turned the water off.

My mom told him to shut it. "What good is a bucket if the cabinet is already flooded? Do you want me to put a bucket in the middle of all that water? Doesn't it make more sense for me to get rid of the water first?" At times, I think my dad enjoys getting her all flustered.

After my mom had pretty much sopped up all the water, she tells my dad that she wants to call their handyman to fix it. What? And not let my dad do it? Never!!

See, when my dad was in better health, he could do all this type of stuff, a regular macho man's man. I know he worked as an electrician and did other types of construction. He travelled all over the world doing these jobs. He and my mom ran a locksmith shop while I was growing up; he was a locksmith and she handled the business side of it. He's got a garage full of gadgets and gidgets and tools and...and....junk! They can't park in the garage; there's no room!!

The problem is, in the past few years his health has deteriorated pretty badly. He doesn't have the strength he used to have; he can barely walk and I am sure he hates that. So, back to the leaky pipe. He started telling my mom that he can fix it. It's not that big of a deal; he's got the tools in the garage, etc. She tries to tell him that he cannot do it-physically it is no longer a possibility.
"You'd have to get down on the floor! How are you going to get back up?"
"Well, maybe you can help me."
(My mom is just a bit taller than me, which is not saying much and my dad, even in ailing health, is still 6 feet and close to 200lbs. Can you see my mom getting him up off the floor??)

So, my mom tells him that if he'll get the tools and tell her what needs to be done, she'll do it. So, he gets the tools. And the pipe doesn't budge. So, he gets down there and tries it. Nope. Nada. Nothing. Mom tries again. Nope. I wish I could have been there to see this spectacle.

Finally, Mom calls the handyman. He comes right over. While my dad starts telling him that the pipe is brittle and needs to be soldered and it's going to break and so on, Mr. Handyman gets my dad's tools, and pop, the pipe comes right off and the new PVC pipe goes right in. Voila! Fixed in about 5 minutes. I have no idea how long he and my mom tried to get that pipe off, or how long it took my dad to just get up again. Sometimes, it's better to just call in the professionals.

23 comments:

Karmyn R said...

Hee Hee - Sounds like a story coming from my in-laws....and a story that I invision happening to my hubby and myself in about 30 more years.

Matt said...

Someone's got mommy issues.... Big baby.

Vicki said...

I love crazy can't tell which way is up stories.

A man once brought his car in behind a tow truck. In the truck of the car was the engine. The bolts were all in plastic baggies and pieces labeled in the order he took them off with pictures of what it connected to. He had to pay extra to get that fixed. =)

Matt's a brat.

Matt said...

;)

Claudia said...

Karmyn...yeah...isn't it fun to sit back and watch the show? hehehe...

Vicki...life back home is interesting to say the least...no wonder I live in my own little world!!

Matt...I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were still wearing diapers. :P

Matt said...

I was teasing you. I didn't realize this was a no-humor zone. Send me the ticket in the mail.

Claudia said...

hoho...you can dish but you can't take it, can you??

Matt said...

Claud, it is better to give than to receive. :P

Claudia said...

LOL!! Ok...truce.

Melissa said...

Sounds like my in-laws. I remember something about a two-hour debate over which smoke alarm was beeping and needed new batteries. At three in the morning, even.

Claudia said...

Melissa...OMG! Too funny!! I can just see it.

Odat said...

Oh I've lived with this type...and it's not pretty!

What's up with men and their tools anyway??????

Peace

C said...

Parents are the birth of sitcoms.

mist1 said...

My sink has been full of water for two days. I'm going to give it a little while. I'm in denial.

Melissa said...

I think I can help with the visual by telling you that my mother-in-law is 5'2", and my father-in-law is 6'5". It's like watching some kind of bizzare comedy sketch.

The CEO said...

I don't do plumbing. This is why I have a wife. I do the cooking. Roles are roles, she has her tools, I have my knives. Do not mess with the plan.

Willowtree said...

I'm a bit nervous about commenting, Matt seems to be getting jealous.

Pamela said...

Pour Matt.
Ooops that was a freudian slip.
I meant Poor Matt.


I'm feeling sorry that independence is something we all lose as our bodies grow weary.

Mouse said...

Your Mom has a Plumber?
A real Plumber?
Who calls at her home?
Does he cover Brittany???

I am SO jealous!

Nosjunkie said...

I grew up on a small farm in deepest darkest africa a farm house is always in a perpetual state of "unfinished" I too have a step father who facies himself a handy man and as a result of this distorted self image my mother and step father have been renovating the farm kitchen for the past three years.

Matt said...

I don't get it....

Pour some sugar ON me!

Claudia said...

C--no kidding!!

Mist, if you leave it long enough, it should dry out.

Melissa...oh my good. I'm 5'2 and I knew a guy that was 6'5 once...I stood on a chair and I was still shorter than him!! I can't even begin to think of the logistics there..

CEO...my dad would not approve.

Willow...he's just mad you called me a ballbuster before he did.

Pamela...yes, the loss of independence is terrible. but it's aggravating that he goes to the stores and refuses to use the motorized carts! Nooo...he says he can walk and after about 10 minutes, we get, "I'm done. are you ready to leave?

Mouse...well, not a plumber exactly but a handyman...who sometimes does well, other times not so much. I'll see if we can send him over!!

Matt...brown, white or raw?

Claudia said...

Nosjunkie...I would love to hear more about that...I'll pop in to your blog! I was actually born in Zaire...maybe one day I'll make it back to Africa...who knows.