Pages

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

what a day...

It took me two hours to drive to school today. 10 miles. 2 hours. That is one of the downfalls of living in an area with only one major highway. This morning, a tractor trailer jackknifed, and the caught on fire, effectively shutting down the main thoroughfare for the area. The radio didn't say anything about any fatalities or injuries so I would assume the truckdriver got away in time.

While there are alternate routes (2), they really are not equipped to handle the traffic in a quick, or efficient manner. Have you ever seen the movie Office Space? In the opening scenes, he's driving to work--stop and go traffic--and an old man with a walker is going faster than he is in the car. That's how this morning was. I don't know how many cyclists passed. I'm sure they were having a good laugh at us. I would have been had I been the one moving and not the one stuck. Sigh...

Two hours after I started, I did finally get to school. I am so thankful this didn't happen on a class day in which assignments are due. I would like to think the teacher would have given us a break, but somehow I doubt it...and I'm glad we didn't have to test it. If I didn't have to reshoot one last assignment, I would have totally stayed home. But no...I had to get to the studio. I got my shot. Tonight, I'm going for extra credit. It could be the difference of 1/2 a letter grade. I would much rather stay home and get to bed early, but no...I'll go out and shoot.

It's supposed to go into the 20's tonight. Whoever is in charge of that stupid weather machine is starting to piss me off. I mean really!! They are calling it the Big Chill. I call it fucking cold. I had this weather back in Baltimore. After two months back in Florida, I was acclimatized to the warmth again...my blood had thinned.   Then, I move out here, expecting warmth and sunshine. I got fog, cool weather, ashes falling from the sky, and now...20 degrees??? GRRRR.(ok...we do have some marvelous days too...but I can't bitch about those, now can I???)  I can't wait to get back home.

19 comments:

Pamela said...

I think everything is topsy turvy.
(as in the saying "My nose runs and my feet smell")

It's very warm on the east coast.

It's been in 20's and 30's here.

The CEO said...

I want you to know, that most people that teach at the University level, uncouth bastards all, hearing about how the only major road in the area was tied up for so long, and seeing most of the class hadn't been able to turn in their projects or even arrive at class on time; would naturally assume that, just like real life, they had the perfect opportunity to fail all of the offenders. Ah, the exercise of power. The smell of napalm in the morning. Makes me want to go out an wax a surf board.

mist1 said...

Two hours? That would kill me. I didn't leave the house today. Unless taking the trash out counts.

SongBird said...

The weather is a bit crazy. It has been so warm here, but is getting cooler. I like the colder temps especially at this time of year!

Claudia said...

Pamela...someone's messing with us...

CEO...um...I'm guessing you have something against profs???

Mist...yes...I'm barely alive. I would have loved to stay home!! Trash doesn't count...

Songbird, I haven't had very warm temps most of the year so I am having severe issues with this....

Odat said...

Get a bike! lol
(you've been tagged).
Peace

Jenny said...

At least it'll feel christmasy. Here's it's warm enough to wear a sundress. I can not get into the Christmas spirit at all.

Claudia said...

Odat...I have one!!! LOL it sits in my patio as decoration...for now... :P

Jenny...Lots of people here have decorated and that makes it really nice.

Matt said...

Ohhhh, my name is Stephanie. I know things. Transmissions? I know ALL about transmissions--my husband races pickups for NASCAR!

Stephanie said...

Matt, you're ASSUMING!!! You know what happens when you ASSUME!!!

Actually, a long time ago I did live with a guy who was in the Mustang club and he had a whole room full of Mustang transmissions. But, that's a long story for another day, another blog....

Oh, and I guess I'll be Matt: bitter, jaded, girlfriendless, but funny in a biting, sarcastic sort of way and occasionally really cute. ...Nahhh. I think I'll stay Stephanie: mouthy, cornicopia of useless information, and Mommy to Bethany. Thanks, that's better!

Maybe if I send Matt an e-Guiness he won't be so bitter!

And I'm sorry about your stinkin' long commute, Claudia. I spent some time in your neck o'the woods, and I've been stuck, myself.

Oh, sorry, Matt. There I go knowin' things again.

Stephanie said...

OH, and, Claudia, I sent Baby Bethany to daycare today for the Christmas party dressed in her little Santa's helper suit and little bitty antler hat!! SOOOO cute!

Matt said...

Stephanie, that was mean. How do you know I don't have a girlfriend? (She lives in Canada.)

Stephanie said...

Matt, why are you feeling up women at office parties when you have a girlfriend?

Oh, and my apologies. I'm never intentially mean. Sarcastic, yes.

Sounds sorta like...YOU!!

Hey, I did offer to send you an e-Guiness. Yeah, ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby!

Matt said...

Wow, get the last word why don't you, Stephanie.

I'm not bitter. I'm optimistic.

Matt said...

and i wouldn't trade places with you either....

furiousBall said...

The guy running the weather machine loves to mess with us, just ask Maine.

Stephanie said...

Word.

The CEO said...

Ummm Claudia, I was a professor, and I know that's almost exactly what I would leap to do. Joyously leap to fail as many people as I could. make 'em grovel.

There's no tonality here, you can't hear the dripping sarcasm. I need to remember not to do this. No more drinking and having fun while commenting.

Claudia said...

CEO...that is a drawback..I've mentioned it before...I was hoping that you weren't serious cuz I like all the profs I've had...and I would think that that event would have been excusable. I've actually seen profs give people so many breaks...amazing! What did you teach?