Pages

Saturday, January 27, 2007

fabulous wildlife adventure...

The little town I find myself living in sits right along the Pacific Ocean. It boasts the safest beaches in the world. I wouldn't know because I haven't had the courage to get anything more than my feet wet because, safe or not, that water is cold!

The coastline changes from beach to rocks and cliffs along this two or three mile stretch. At the southern tip of town, the Bluffs overlook the ocean. When I moved here in the summer, I'd hear seals every now and then. I'd go look over the cliff, trying to spot the little dude...I never had any luck.

However, that has changed. From December to May/June, harbor seals come to the Seal Sanctuary to give birth to their pups. I've been to the lookout point a few times now. I think I'm going to start volunteering so I can sit there for two hours a week checking out the seals.

Here, a view of the Bluffs...

As you walk towards the seal sanctuary....a view...

Slightly closer...

This old tree overhangs the bluffs.
I love how it looks.

Here we have the seals...looking a lot like rocks!
Every once in a while, one of them will flap its front,
uh, flipper(?)....

This little guy was born that morning. He was trying
get back in and the tide was trying to wash him out! Yipe!
His mamma was out catching fish.

Ehn...I think I can make it...phew, this is hard!!

Pant, pant....sheesh!! Just a little more!
He finally made it to the rocks and lodged himself
in there so the waves couldn't take him out to sea.

Lalala...I see you...

The good life...

This guy decided that he wanted
to come in and warm up a bit.

Here we have a mamma and her little one...

Feeding time...

Hey...watcha lookin' at?

I am ignoring you...hmmph...

Yaaaaaawn.....such a hard life...

Ok, girls, time for sit-ups...and up...

You lookin' at me?? Aren't I cute?

Seal yoga

Another mamma feeding her baby

A different view...she's keeping her eye on me.

Here, we have another mamma and her baby.
The birds hanging out could possibly indicate
that another seal is about to give birth, or they
may just be hanging out.

Remember the little guy that had just been born? I
think this might be him a few days later...the coloring
looks the same to me. Anyways, the news is that he made it!

Again..

and here he is, just stretching out...

16 comments:

Willowtree said...

I see no reason for this post other than a heartless attempt to make your readers in Oklahoma, Kansas and Tennessee jealous. Shame on you!

Matt said...

I certainly wouldn't want to get into a fight w/ one of those little bastards.

Claudia said...

Willow...I have no shame...none!! :)

Matt...yeah, that would not be on my list either....all one of those would have to do is roll over on you (or me) and that would be that...squish...except for maybe the little guys...

C said...

Oh they are so cute. I have missed visiting your site.

Yasamin said...

you know i didnt sign off on allowing you to post pictures of me tanning. i mean really... invading my privacy and all...

James Burnett said...

Damn! Those coastal shots are beautiful. And those seals look like they're living it up. I wish I could lie in the surf all day.

Claudia said...

C!! How've you been?? is school kicking your butt or what??

Yas...you are too funny!! I swear, I got model releases! :P

James, Lying in the surf all does does sound fabulous, but not in these frigid waters!! brrr...maybe in Miami beach though..

Odat said...

Awww....How great to see all this!!!
Peace

The CEO said...

Did you get to know any of the seals on a first name basis?

Stephanie said...

Willowtree left out Texas.

Those are some damn fine pics, girlie.

And having spent some time in your neck of the woods, yeah, I'm jealous!

Claudia said...

Odat...thank you!

CEO...not yet, but if I start volunteering, I'm sure it's only a matter of time! :)

Stephanie, yeah, I'd be pretty surprised to see some of these guys in Houston! :)

Karmyn said...

I love Seals....and some people give them such a hard time (fishermen here in the NW, because they eat salmon - OMG - the horror)

Yasamin said...

yeah well you could have at least photoshopped me thinner. or white. the white girls get all the attention. lmao!

Claudia said...

Karmyn...god, I just want to come visit and knock some of those fishermen overboard...

Yas...trust me, I've tried to photoshop myself thin and it hasn't worked very well--I ended up looking deformed!! Obviously I have not yet mastered it!! LOL!!!

Pamela said...

WT is right.
I'm jealous.

You walk out your door and hear seals barking.

I see a dead tree stump with no bark.

Winter said...

I want one!