Pages

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Flying

Part one of my trip home...the airplane ride!! I love sitting by the window and seeing what's out there. This trip did not disappoint me at all!!


Getting ready for takeoff.
For some reason, the thought of another
plane heading towards us made me
somewhat nervous...


Here we are taking off towards the ocean. Uhm...wrong way....


Ooooh, looky there...the coastline.


Okay, now we're heading the right way.
That's LA sprawled out there.
Hasta, baby! I'm going to Florida!!


And now the mountains....


The next three shots are of Lake Mead,
I think. Either way, it's all the same lake...


That is one big-ass lake!!


seeeeee? I told you it was big!


Now, we leave the lake and head over the canyons.
I was completely fascinated by the clarity of the air
and the landscape itself.

The tops were either snowy or frosty and the base..
probably quite warm.


A lone ridge....


This one looks like a watercolor to me.


A scar in the land


I picture this as a giant butterfly or dragonfly...


Here, we start leaving the jagged canyons
into, well, not really sure...I guess just hills.


oooh...look! Crop circles! No?? oh, ok...
My sis said that they are probably mining. Either way....


I think these might have been the Rockies.


And after the mountains....flatlands...
cold, snowy, flatlands. brrrrr...


I have no idea which mountain range this is,
but I love that it stretches into the distance with
the flatlands on either side of it.


After the mountains, the farmlands.
This looks like a leather patchwork to me.

22 comments:

Matt said...

Beautiful.

Claudia said...

Thanks Matt

Robin said...

This is the way I prefer flying...vicariously, through you:). The running commentary was almost as good as the photography. Thanks for the sky travelogue :).

Willowtree said...

Ditto Matt.

Those shots are fantastic, I've got some plane pics but they are all out of focus or something, I don't know what but they sure aren't' as good as these babies.

Pamela said...

The air must have been so clean. Even with my naked eye, usually I can't see as clear as your shots.

That one pictures has to be more rocky mountain.. there is an eastern ridge in Colorado that looks separate from the rest (I think)

Melissa said...

Really pretty Claudia.

Karmyn R said...

I am shocked that the pictures turned out as good as they did!!! You had a great spot on the plane, that's for sure. And even more amazing - not a cloud in sight.

Susan in va said...

Claudia, these are SPECTACULAR!!!! I love these pictures!

Robin (who keeps taking the words out of my mouth) said exactly what I was feeling. I hate flying, but I love the view from the window. WOW!

Just....WOW!

Jenny said...

Beautiful! So beautiful!

The CEO said...

Agrees.
The Rockies are the Eastern edge running down through Colorado to Mexico, and as far North as Canada. The other mountains are the Alleganies in the East. Much older mountains, yet beautiful. Georgia up through Maine. The famous Appalachian Trail runs through here.

You saw the results of strip mining that caused the big circles to be scraped out of the ground.

That school you're going to is paying off big time!

Mouse said...

Claudia! Fabulous photo's
Thank You
Interestingly I didn't see a butterfly, I saw a scorpion. I wonder what the analysts would make of that?

Nosjunkie said...

Hey Clauds those are stunning!!!!!
I loved browsing through them.
Whenever I am lucky enough to get a window seat they always put me right by the wing sothat I can see nothing and my pics alwas have half a wing in them .

Those are great again

Odat said...

Awesome....thanks for sharing them with us.
Peace

Stephanie said...

The CEO is right. I'm thinkin' you've learned a thing or two with that fancy education you're gettin'!

Awesome pics!!

Claudia said...

Robin and Susan...my pleasure to do the flying!! my favorite part is the take off!! :)

Willow, like Pamela said, the air was amazingly clean and clear. Must be that mountain air!

Pamela, I was tempted to start siiiiInging Rocky Mountain High, but I don't think the other passengers would have liked that much! I guess the one is the eastern stretch away from anything else. Makes sense to me!

Melissa, thanks!

Karmyn, cool, huh?

Jenny...why thank you (in my best texan accent...)

CEO, yeah, it had to be the Rockies since I certainly didn't make it to the Allegheny or Appalachian Mts!! It's still more fun saying that they were crop circles...hehe..

Mouse, a scorpion? It would make more sense for the land, that is certain! Interesting....

Lee....yah, that used to happen to me too...the airline I took is one in which everyone grabs whatever available seat, which can be bad if you're the last one boarding!! Luckily I wasn't.

Odat and Stephanie, thanks again.

James Burnett said...

Those were great shots. You should be taking pics for a living! Taken from a plane? They were very, very clear.

Claudia said...

Thanks James! Yeah, that was from the plane...amazing huh?

Crankster said...

Window seats are definitely the best thing about flying cross country. Great pictures!

Doppleganger said...

These are some great pics. Of course, usually when I fly, I only see the patchwork of farmland where you can see the interestate stretching across three states.

It's amazing, though, how your pics remind me of my flight from LA to Tampa - wonder why that is? :^)

Claudia said...

Crank, definitely!!!

DG...hmmm...I wonder??? When did you do LA??

Doppleganger said...

I was in LA about 6 years ago. My friend was moving there, so I fly up to Wisconsin - drove cross country with her from Wisconsin to San Diego and then flew out of LA a couple days later. The best was the "Hotel" I stayed in near the airport the night before. It had three locks on it - I used them all!!!

BTW, where are the pics from New Years?

Doppleganger said...

I was in LA about 6 years ago. My friend was moving there, so I fly up to Wisconsin - drove cross country with her from Wisconsin to San Diego and then flew out of LA a couple days later. The best was the "Hotel" I stayed in near the airport the night before. It had three locks on it - I used them all!!!

BTW, where are the pics from New Years?