Pages

Monday, January 15, 2007

swimming wit da fish

Since it's pretty cold most everywhere right now, here are some tropical pics for a mental getaway. I took these back home at Christmas with a cheap little underwater camera that cost a whopping $7!! The visibility wasn't the best but I still got a few shots. Enjoy....



Several different types of fish trying to get away from me.

I spy a little fish through the rocks.
I tried to find out what kind,
but I couldn't figure it out.

Here, just swimming along the rocks.

These brown fish are a type of parrotfish.

And here is another parrotfish...a blue one..

Oooh barracuda!
They usually like to hang at the bottom in open water...

But occasionally, they'll head near the rocks too.

Parrotfish, spotted pinfish and that yellow guy again.

An angelfish along with some sergeant majors...

Spotted pinfish...these guys are everywhere!

As I get a little deeper, the fish become more abundant.

Not a great pic, but it gives a nice idea of what it's like. If you look
closely, you can see a snook in the mid/lower right side.

This was awesome!!
A ray swimming out to the open waters...

Another parrotfish hanging out...

Sergeant majors, spotted pinfish and some other mysteryfish...

This little dude is a wrasse. They are tiny, maybe 3-4inches at most...

Out at the end of the jetty, the sergeant majors are teeming...

Eventually, the rocks give way to deeper water.

17 comments:

Karmyn said...

I have admitted it before (but I'll say it again)...I am scared of fish - so, although beautiful, these pictures scare the heck out of me. I'll leave the snorkeling to you.

Pamela said...

I'm a horrid swimmer. but, we had a "short" trip to Hawaii and I went snorekling in a reserve.
I came face to face with an eel. The hubby could hear me screaming through the snorkel. At least I didn't swallow water.

I wanted to go out and swim with the dolpins in the morning, but we had to return sudden=== heart attack/death in family.

someday I'll go back.

I have a pix of my two eldest grandkids standing on the southern most tip of Fla. They were so cute.

Nosjunkie said...

Those are great pics babe

Odat said...

Wow!!! Very very nice....glad you got to do that...
I love fish and the water...I'm a Pisces!!
Peace

swampwitch said...

A-h-h-h-h! Soothing. From here, I like...no gills on me, so your post is just fine for me.
Question: Did you tag me back in December? Something about the book closest at hand...what's on a certain page? I have looked everywhere because I want to do that 'assigment.' If it wasn't you, I'll have to look some more.
Seems like it was during Christmas.
If is WAS you, can you send me in the right direction so I can do this?

Claudia said...

Karmyn...I guess it's not for everyone...as for me, I wish I could live underwater!!

Pamela...LOL!! Awww!! I would love to swim with dolphins one day...

Lee..thanks!

Odat...glad to oblige!! Enjoy your day off...i'm going to school...:(

Swampy...I don't have gills but sometimes...I wish!! yes, I did tag you...I just posted it in your comments...no worries if you can't get to it!

mist1 said...

Great shots.

Winter said...

I wish I was there now, and not sitting at my desk..

Well actually I'm reading a blog instead of working, so I guess it's not so bad..

Vicki said...

Thank you for posting those.

I had to hold my breath while I looked at them.

Susan in va said...

Wow! These are great, Claudia!

I agree with Swampy - I like my feet, right here on terra firma, enjoying the fruits of your labor ;)

Dan said...

Awesome photos Claudia! I feel like I'm right there with you! In fact, I really wish I had been right there with you. I can't believe you didn't invite me to this!! :)

Beth said...

aren't barracuda's extremely dangerous?????!

Claudia said...

Mist, thanks!

Winter, yeah, I wish I was there now too...

Susan, i'm glad to oblige!!

Dan...and here I was thinking I got stood up...I guess the invite didn't make it, eh?

Beth, not really. There are cases of people gettting bitten, but usually it's because they have jewelry on and the barracuda, which doesn't see very well, mistakes the glinting for fish. They usually look more ominous that they act.

Crankster said...

That is soooo cool. I'm radiating envy right now.

Julie said...

Nice photos! Thanks for taking me on an underwater adventure.

Doppleganger said...

These are some sweet pics

Glamourpuss said...

Nice fish. Need chips.

Puss