Pages

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Dude...it's California...

The other day, I was thinking how I haven't been noticing all these differences of my living in California like I did when I first moved. I figured that I must be getting used to it and just not noticing it all that much. Then, today, I went to my friend's wedding, and, well, I had to try and control my fits of laughter during the whole ceremony. It was terrible. I mean really, what sort of person laughs at a wedding. It's supposed to be a solemn ceremony...where two people begin their lives together, blahblahblah. And here I was crying from trying not to laugh!!!

It started when the pastor began "I'm just so stoked to be here..." (snort...giggle)

"And it's an awesome thing, just totally awesome, this union, I mean, it's beautiful. And today is beautiful, and this couple is awesome, and you all are awesome for being here to celebrate this beautiful union. God is beautiful, He's just so awesome from bringing us all here for this beautiful wedding....How cool. This is totally cool. The bride? She's just beautiful, and the groom? He's awesome. No wonder God brought them together. How radical is that?" (snort...repress the giggle..tears are forming...)

I don't think it helped that I was sitting with some friends and we were all trying not to laugh. D. had to stop looking at me or she would have lost it. Every time I looked at her, she had a grin on her face but kept concentrating on her hands on her lap. S. kept nudging me every time the pastor said cool or awesome, which was almost every sentence.

Then, it came time for the rings.

Pastor Dude: "J., do you have the ring? Wow, that's pretty. It's awesome! Can you all see the ring? It's perfect. Beautiful. And it's round. Cool." (granted, he tied that in to God's love being perfect and encircling us, but still...bwahahaha...)

This is so unlike any other ceremony I have ever been to...I can't say I subscribe to any religion even though I was raised as a Roman Catholic and attended Catholic school and their solemn services for years. All I could think is, "yep, I'm in California."

21 comments:

Melissa said...

Dude, we're not all totally like that.

willowtree said...

I love California, but there are aspects that take some getting used to.

But I will say that I'd much rather be in California than a catholic church. Hell I'd rather have a root canal than be in a catholic church.

Claudia said...

Melissa...it was totally cool and awesome...beautiful....

Willow...different cultures...dude...

The CEO said...

When did women become dudes?

Pamela said...

Makes me wonder what was burning in the candleabra
awww. some!

Odat said...

Totally awesome post..I was stoked to have the pleasue to have read it dudette...
Peace

Claudia said...

CEO...somewhere along the way...

Pamela, whatever it was, blew my mind!

Odat...gnarly, dude. Peace

Jenny said...

I laugh in every situation I'm not supposed to laugh in. Funerals especially. I'd have been on the floor in that one.

Do California clergymen smoke pot?

Claudia said...

Jenny...I wouldn't doubt it. In the recent elections, the people actually voted to make smoking pot practically legal...that the police are basically to treat it as lowest-priority....

Matt said...

Was the pastor stoned? How radical.

marnie said...

Wow, I'd have been snarfling laughter with tears streaming down my face too. Don't worry, it's not just you.

But. I've been known to laugh at funerals too.

The CEO said...

I have been to this California wedding in the last couple of years. It helps to have attended happy hour first.

And personally, I'm sticking with women; not dudes. Just a personal thing.

Glamourpuss said...

Hmmm, ever since I returned from Vegas, I have found myself using the adjective 'awesome' without irony...

I need help.

Puss

Claudia said...

marnie...it was hysterical..

CEO..what can I say? These californians are crazy...

PUss...yes, it is contagious...I dread the day I catch myself saying "gnarly" and being serious!!

Karmyn said...

oh please tell me the person officiating the wedding was just some surfer friend who had recently gotten his license to marry and NOT a preacher. sigh....

Stephanie said...

Awesome! This was just so cool to read!

Melissa's not like that 'cause she's not originally from California.

Actually, my best friend is from California, and she doesn't talk that way.

But she does say, "Groovy" and "Far out!" And so do I. Maybe we're just stuck in a time warp from the Haight in San Fran circa 1968.

Claudia said...

Karmyn...not he was actually one of the pastors..probably one of the reasons I was laughing so hard....you just don't see this on the East Coast.

Stephanie...yeah, I say groovy,cool and awesome too, but, let's say I had to give a professional presentation? I probably wouldn't!!

James Burnett said...

The pastor said "stoked?" That's hilarious. During a visit home to VA once, my dad, who is a pastor, bounced his sermon off of me. And when he read one particular passage I had to nearly threaten him with bodily harm to keep him from going into the pulpit the next day and using the word "peeps" to describe his buddies when he was young. His intention was to "relate" to a large visiting group of teenagers. Later he thanked me for stopping him from talking about his peeps.

SongBird said...

I would have had to leave because I would have totally and awesomely disrupted the ceremony with LOUD hoots of laughter. No way I could have kept myself quiet!!

Claudia said...

James...you're too nice....hehehe...

Songbird...Oh, if you had been there, they would have ended up kicking us out!

Crankster said...

Dude, that was awesome.

Personally, I get through weddings by reading the hymnal and adding "in bed" to the end of every title.