Pages

Monday, February 12, 2007

Rain

Saturday night it rained.

I love when it rains at night. It gives the night a certain mood, even if you go out, as I did. I was meeting friends for dinner. My first inclination was to cancel and stay home and curl up on my foofy chair, warm, comfortable and dry. But I felt bad because it was someone's birthday and people had already cancelled. I have plenty of nights home; birthdays only come once a year.

I'm glad I went. As I drove up, the rhythm of the raindrops and the slap of the windshield wipers meshed with the music oozing out of the car stereo. The street lights reflect on the street in long, shiny streaks of color against a dark background.

I arrived early. I grabbed my umbrella and decided to just browse the windows along State St. Rain quells the normal activity of a Saturday night. Only a few people were out; those that were either huddled together under umbrellas or just hunched their shoulders as they walked quickly, trying to stay dry.

I walked on, umbrella in hand, falling footsteps and raindrops harmonizing pretty well. There is something oddly meditative and calming about a solitary walk in the rain.

18 comments:

Matt said...

You remind me of the girl on the iodine salt container w/ the umbrella.

"When it rains, it pours."

Claudia said...

I'm missing galoshes...by gosh.

etain_lavena said...

I also love the rain, it washes everything clean. It smells so nice after it rained.:)

Claudia said...

Etain...yes, a good rain is great. Then, when it's done, I want the sun again!!

Glamourpuss said...

Early? I dream of being early.

Puss

Karmyn said...

I love the smell of a good rain after it hasnt' rained in a long while.

SongBird said...

Beautifully written, Claudia!! My favorite rain is after a long dry spell in the summer. I love the smell of the earth just soaking up that good old rain.

SaM-GiRL said...

I love the smell you get just BEFORE it rains... its an earthly smell, and then when you lay in bed at night, and the rain dances on your window...now i wish it would rain! lol.

Pamela said...

I love to hear it on the sky window.

Jodi said...

Sure wish it would rain here... but I have to wait a few months!!

Nosjunkie said...

I love a good old transvaal thunder shower

Claudia said...

Glam, yes, it's a rarity. My friends generally know I will be late.

Karmyn, Songbird and Sam...yes, the smells both before and after the rain are incredible...especially from a good strong thunderstorm!!

Pamela..sigh...no sky window for me.

Lee...ooh, that must be amazing!!

Odat said...

I love the rain too as long as it's a little warm outside...
Peace

Steven Novak said...

When I was in college I often went for strolls in the rain.

Kinda miss it.

Steve~

Dan said...

You didn't turn into Gene Kelly did you? :)

Claudia said...

Odat...freezing rain cancels any chance for me being out in the middle of it!! :)

Steve...it's been years since the last time I went and really played in the rain...

Dan...OHNO!! funny guy!

Crankster said...

Rain is great when the weather's warm. We had rain here with below freezing temperatures. Everything ended up looking glazed.

Robin said...

I love giving into a WARM rain...that is the taste of youth!

But, lying in my FOOFY bed, not having to be anywhere and just listening to its cadence...now, that's delicious!