Pages

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Today's adventure

Today, I decided to go out for a little ride.
Here, you can see my little voiture is quite dirty!

This little dude watches over me and my car.
I mean, really, if you were going to take this car,
wouldn't seeing the snarly dude scare ya? I thought so.

I also have my cool purse that I got at the
Avocado festival back in Oct.

It's easy to always go for the beach here, but less than
2 miles from the house, the road winds up into the hills.
Every time I drive this way, I see this house. It's quite amazing.
They have horses, and lots of land--pretty much
all the land from the road to the house is theirs!

Just a bit further up the road, these old oak trees
create a really cool scene.

Continuing along, across the street from Toro Canyon Park,
more trees and really cool gullies.
It looks really cool in B&W too!

Not too much further along, one of today's
destinations. Here, with the mountains in the background,
is the Vedanta temple. I first saw it on the map
when I first moved here. It's a nice little place
to visit and just get away from things.
This is right by the parking lot.

This is a close-up of the flowers. I have no idea what
they are, but they seem to grow almost everywhere here.
I have no idea how old this bell is...

Getting a closer look, you can see it's quite worn and aged.

The dragon keeps watch at the top of the bell...
From this side of the temple, you can
see a little path through the grounds...

You can wander the grounds...here a bee gets some nectar
from some purpley flower. Lots of flowers, lots of bees.

Rocks and flowers..
There were birds of paradise...

And this one seems particularly vicious,
trying to get at me through the bushes.

But I don't think it was a match for this...

I think I surprised Mr. Bunny with his cart...

And of course, be careful of the spiky plants....

Like this...pretty, but I'd hate to accidentally sit on this.
There were even sheep...
Back to the temple...check out those clouds hanging over the mountains!

At the temple doors, a sign...
And just by the stairs, this tree. I love the
texture of the branches, smooth and sinewy.

Another stop today was one of the old churches originally
built by the Spaniards. Haha...I wouldn't have expected this...
smartasses....

Right by the parking lot, more prickly plants!

But then again, roses are also prickly.

A close-up...

The architecture is definitely cool.

Some of the features are pretty cool,
like the round windows.

This is inside...a little prayer spot

On the grounds is a fountain of St. Francis.

And a little stone bench...doesn't look very comfy, does it?

And one last shot before I leave...

15 comments:

Jodi said...

Beautiful pictures, Claudia!

I love the old oak trees... and the architecture picture is amazing with the shadows and color.

Glamourpuss said...

Whoah! Back up - 'Avocado Festival'?! What in the name of Gypsy Rose Lee is that?

Lovely images.

Puss

Melissa said...

What awesome pictures. I LOVE the ones of the temple. LOVE.

Don't you love California? Avocado festivals, garlic festivals, zucchini festivals, tomato festivals...and those are just the ones I know about. ;)

Karmyn R said...

Claudia - GREAT photos! I especially like the gully one - however in B&W looks somewhat sinister...amazing how different it is from the color which invites me to enter.

I really like the textures in all those pictures.

Odat said...

Oh wowee!!!! Great shots...I almost feel like I'm there...I'm going to keep coming back and look at these when I need a mini vacation durin work!!!!
Very awesome...thank you for sharing them....
That round window, btw, looks like a drain hole...lol
Peace

Claudia said...

Thanks Jodi! Living here, I forget to take time and visit these things...

Glam, oh, yes....I live in one of the prime avocado growing locales (you'd think that would make them cheaper, but noooo...) and every year, they have an Avocado Festival!! check it out...www.avofest.com

Melissa, I know!! I've only been to the Avo Fest, but I've got to get my stuff together and visit some others! I totally missed the Lemon Festival...

Karmyn, it's funny you find it sinister...I find it more mysterious and intriguieing (sp?)

Odat, I'm glad you like!! makes me warm and fuzzy!! :)

Robin said...

Sensory overload! These shots are spectacular, Claudia...if I ever get to your side of the world, please...take me here!

Claudia said...

Robin, well git on over here!

Stephanie said...

And THAT'S why I love California!!

Those are BEAUTIFUL pics!!

Julie said...

Claudia, you ROCK! I love these photos! I like them all, but for some reason I.really.like.the.last.one.alot. Be on the look out for an email!

Mouse said...

Love the pictures!
Especially St Francis
Thank you

Crankster said...

Wow--what amazing pictures. Thank you for taking me away for a few minutes!

Claudia said...

Stephanie...I hope you get to visit again soon without any family emergencies going on!

Julie, aw, thanks!

Mouse.... patron saint of the animals!

Crank...you're welcome!

Shauna said...

Totally AWESOME photos! ! !

Doppelgänger said...

These are some great pics. I would love to go check out that temple. Soooo jealous!