Pages

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Weeds

One of my self-appointed tasks for this week has been to take better care of the yards. Weeds were starting a coup and it was time for me to put a stop to it. I mean really! Just who do they think they are? A bad radio song that won't go away?? I'd been ignoring them for a while, thinking that maybe they'd take the party elsewhere; instead, they grew stronger and multiplied. If I hadn't done something soon, I would have had to fear for my own safety, not to mention small pets that happen to be wandering nearby (I'd include el Gato in that but she's not exactly small.)

So, I got the implements of their doom out, namely garden gloves and the weed picker, and started pulling and yanking and tearing and ripping those suckers out! Oh, did they put up a fight. A few times, I had both feel firmly planted and was using both hands to pull and still they weren't budging!! If they had let go suddenly, I would have fallen back on my butt!

I can't believe how deep those roots go. Some of the teeniest weeds have roots that go down a good 6-7 inches into the ground. What the hell?? How do they do this? Is it some sort of weed conspiracy? That they send the roots down first and then start sprouting above ground? Sneaky little bastards. Of course, it could be my own fault since I have been carelessly ignoring them for the past few months (lalala, I don't see you weeds!!) How silly of me to think that they'd just go away on their own.

It was a long battle. We went back and forth, took breathers then started again. El Gato was watching my back, coming to check in and warning me of any surreptitious attack, and giving me words of encouragement (meow.) Once it was over, only a few stragglers remained, heads down, admitting defeat. They know what's coming. As for me, I headed back inside and lay there hurting. It was a hard fight.

18 comments:

Karmyn R said...

I'm glad you won, though - unfortunately, in a couple of weeks there will be just some more to fight.

It is a never ending battle.

melissa said...

You're reminding me of all the yardwork I have out back, taunting me. ;) I'm glad you won your battle!

Claudia said...

karmyn...It is neverending...sort of like making the bed...you make it, and the next morning, it needs to be made again! oof!

Melissa...i hate it when it does that!

Willowtree said...

Ah yes...the root does establish before the above ground stuff. Why don't you just spray them? Is it some peasant gene that makes you want to wrestle with them?

Claudia said...

Willow...I did spray them. but I wanted them gone...I didn't even want to see their carcasses lying about.

Claudia said...

of course it could be some peasant gene rearing its head...who knows.

Matt said...

Dude,

that reminds me. have you seen Weeds on HBO?

Awesome.

Claudia said...

Matt...no, I don't get HBO.. :/

Pamela said...

probably runners... interconnected to the other weeds.

are you sure they were weeds? (:

Stephanie said...

*singing*
Yooouuu are the chaaamp-ion, my friii-eeeend!!
And yoouuu'llll keep on fiiiiight-iiiin' 'til the eeeend!!!

Glamourpuss said...

Goodness - you need some lessons in 'girling'. I never do my own gardening, I always get a male friend to do it for me - I might break a nail for God's sake!

Puss

Jodi said...

Oh, Claudia... You've made me realize that I can't ignore my yardwork any longer!

I've been trying to prolong the inevitable...

Claudia said...

pamela, oh, definitely weeds. some spiky dandelion looking monsters!!

stephanie!! welcome back!! sing awaaaaayyyy.... (ahem...you do inspire...)

Glam...oh, I definitely need lessons in girling!! I don't even have long nails--bite them ;/

Jodi...sigh...i understand.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Sometimes I talk to myself when I am outside. Loudly. I also gesticulate and burst out in maniacal laughter. I think it helps to keep the neighbors guessing.

Claudia said...

Stewart...I'm laughing right now!! It's good to keep the neighbors guessing...

Melissa said...

Laughing @ stewart...but, omg you haven't seen WEEDS?! The inhumanity! ;)

Crankster said...

My personal scourge is thistles. In honor of scottish heritage, though, I let one of them grow. It got about 7-8 feet tall. I thought about decorating it for Christmas, but it finally died in early November.

Claudia said...

Melissa...sad, I know.

Crank...I actually remember seeing a thistle in Scotland in someone's year that was probably that tall! It was impressive.