Pages

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Summer in Florida

Summer in Florida means afternoon thunderstorms and heat lightning at night. I love both. I remember how I missed these when I first moved out of Florida. The rains in Baltimore usually lack the violence that we have here in Florida. A few times they got a good storm but for the most part, it was a nice polite rain that fell. You could still see in front of you and not worry too much. And California?? Well, for all the overcast skies, there's really very little rain and I can't remember a good storm with thunder and lightning together. So, I dug around the internet and found this. Enjoy...

http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_is_heat_lightning.htm

11 comments:

Willowtree said...

Speaking of heavy downpours, one just finished here that was so loud that no matter how high turned up the volume of the TV, I couldn't hear it.

If you hear loud booms in California it's more likely to be earthquakes than thunder!

The CEO said...

Glad to see you thinking so analytically, and illustrating it with photos! Keep it up!

Melissa said...

I lived in Florida when I was small. I remember the thunderstorms pretty well. Cool article! I never knew that stuff!

Claudia said...

Willow, LOL!! good thing lightning didn't fry your telly!! And I hope never to have to hear the sound of an earthquake like that!!

CEO...I wish I had taken that photo!!

Melissa, aren't they awesome??

What A Crock said...

god thats gorgeous!! i looove storms hehehehe ;p

Karmyn R said...

Growing up we always got heat lightning during the summer - it was so cool to watch the light dance across the sky.

Glamourpuss said...

I think we have been experiencing such weather in Blighty this 'summer'. I guess that's global warming for you...

Puss

Irene said...

I too love fierce downpours. There's something captivatingly romantic in the wild chaos. ;p

Claudia said...

Crock...nothing like a good storm!!

Karmyn, from what I've seen, you might be getting them this year too, no?

Glam, enjoy it!! It's one spectacular show!

Irene, welcome back!!

Pamela said...

that picture looks like a giant atomic mouse.

Robin said...

Hmmm, I haven't seen that much since we moved to Tennessee...but in SC, all the time...