Pages

Monday, August 20, 2007

Preparing to go home


Mom called this morning at 7:30am. (Amazingly, I was already awake- and I can't complain...last week she called at 6:30 am and no, I was not awake!!) Anyways, we talked about how she's doing (coping), and about my preparations to get home. Direct words from mom:

"Don't bring too much stuff...if you need it, we can alway buy it."

Shopping?? Did she really say that I can just go shopping and just buy stuff?? Has she no idea what she's just said?? She is obviously still completely discombobulated from everything or there is no way in hell she would have suggested I just go shopping!!! I mean, this is the woman that usually remarks, "what? buying more stuff?" anytime I buy anything (even when it's needed!) And this is the woman that usually exclaims, "why are you buying more stuff? You don't need it!!"

AHA!!

I've figured it out!!

It's a ploy! She used the catch phrase, "need."

Mmmm-hmmmm...I see now.

Very tricky.

Because, in her book, I don't need anything more that about three shirts, one pair of pants and maybe two pairs of shoes, I shouldn't have to go shopping! AHA!! And I bet she thought I'd fall for it! Boy, oh boy, she almost had me!

However, over thirty years of experience on both sides, she should know it won't work! (MWAHAHAHAAAH!) TJMaxx is only 7 miles away. The Gardens Mall is only 8 miles away. The surf shop is only .5 miles away!! Target? 5 miles!! Oh, she doesn't stand a chance in convincing me not to go shopping!! HA!! I can just see it now...

"But Mom,(blink blink innocently) I needed that new (whatever...)! (blink blink again) You said I could go buy it if I needed it, no?"

21 comments:

willowtree said...

Shopping is good excercise

Karmyn R said...

So what she is REALLY saying is: "Don't pack ANYTHING." right? That way you will have to do tons of shopping.

Glamourpuss said...

Maybe your luggage could just get 'lost' by the airline... Then you would need to buy all new everything...

Glad you're feeling brighter.

Puss

Robin said...

1) Did WT really just say that?

2) You sound a bit maniacal, Claudia...I could see a little gleam in your eye.

3) Does she want you there PDQ or what???

My philosophy? Better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it (pack heavy); one of my bf irl (Gina) always says: Don't have it? Go shopping!

Of course, she's a gazillionaire...

Blathering Idiot said...

Shopping therapy...that's it..."but Mom, it is therapy!"

Claudia said...

WT, you're so right! another weapon in my arsenal!! the walking around looking for things, lift off the rack, put it back, lift again...not to mention the carrying bags! Brilliant!!

Karmyn and Puss...wow...and i thought I was pushing it! I must learn more from you two...

Robin...
1. yes he did!!
2. now, I will have the song in my mind all day..."she's a maniac, maniac..."
3. I just woke up...what is PDQ?

And I agree with you and Gina--does she want a grown daughter to take shopping??? :)

Tiggerlane said...

Okay - back up a bit - there was a key word in there (my agents like to use it a lot, too) - WE.

"WE" can always buy it? Meaning that she will come along and disapprove, and you will have to fork out the money?

Clarify - and if she meant SHE would buy, show up naked.

Claudia said...

Tiggerlane, wow you ARE good!!

Susan in va said...

Did somebody say TJMaxx? Cause I could swear I heard somebody say TJMaxx.

And, Tiggerlane....ROFL!! For your sake, I hope your daughter doesn't inherit this sneaky side of yours...if so, you're in trouble!

I'll go shopping with you, Claudia. Unfortunately, you'll most certainly be paying for your own stuff. I'll buy you a Venti Macchiato, though...if YOU drive ;)

Pamela said...

If I could lose 40 lbs I might enjoy shopping.
TJ MAX is right.

matthew said...

I think you need a new car.

Naomi Joy said...

just came across your blog from dans.

Mom's eh? mine's the exact same!

Melissa said...

I say bring nothing but a pair of jeans. You can tell her "The weather in California is so different right now, I have nothing but boots and parkas!" Who can turn down that logic?

The jeans are insurance - must always have fabulous jeans. ;)

Dan said...

Your mom is very tricky indeed. But it's a good thing you realized her trickiness because now you can prepare reasons why you need all that crap you're going to buy! :)

Susan in va said...

Stop by my place. I gave you a little award ;)

Shauna said...

Haha - you go girl! ! !

The CEO said...

I focused on the 'we' too. How could you deprive your Mom of the many shopping opportunities you both could share to oh so many shops and boutiques. Maybe your Mom needs some new things too. Couldn't you both use a make over? some spa time? A little R and R perhaps? Isn't this a time for some shared experiences between mother and daughter? Isn't this why shopping and spas exist?

Just asking, naturally. I wouldn't know about 'these' things. And DON'T FORGET THE CHOCOLATE medicine.

Mouse said...

I'm with ypur Mom I'm afraid
Too many clothes = too much choice
Besides which I have a huge wardrobe of beautiful clothes that I will wear, one day, when I lose 30lbs...

Liz said...

I miss our marathon TJMaxx trips!!!

Robin said...

Oops...just now coming back to see this...

"pretty dayem quick" ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.