Pages

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Return

After meeting up with a friend to catch up yesterday, the hours passed quickly, bringing me home much later than originally anticipated with the final packing still to be done.

4:30am came much too quickly as I rose, showered and staggered into the kitchen, my mom already up and commenting that it's a quarter of five and will I be ready in time. Squint and grunt seem to be common responses from me in those dark pre-dawn hours.  

A harried search for the car keys proves fruitless even after checking my luggage to make sure I didn't accidentally pack them. The spare keys come handy and we're on our way, catching all the red lights that seem to last forever when there is no opposing traffic. 

The rest of the trip goes smoothly with all the holiday travel finished and a half-empty plane allowing me to stretch out and claim the whole row for myself.  No change of planes, just a couple of stops along the way and soon, we're hitting turbulence as we descend to LAX. Again, the throngs of people in LAX amaze me. It really is its own little world, isn't it? 

Now, I'm back in California, and again feeling torn between two worlds. I don't know that that will ever go away.

13 comments:

Nosjunkie said...

I am glad the rip is going well sweetie

Glamourpuss said...

I'm not sure it does ever go away, I guess we just learn to reconcile ourselves to the differences and focus on the positives. It's good to experience both 'though, no?

Puss

heather a. goodman said...

I'm still stuck on the 4:30 part.
Does that time exist in the morning?
Huh. Wonders never cease.

www.heatheragoodman.com

Pamela said...

to be alive...

Claudia said...

Nos...yes, now it's going to be back to reality.

Glam, yes, you're right, it is good to experience both but at times so fucking hard to deal with!!

Heather...LOL!!! yes, it used to be I would see it often but not from waking up end!!

Pamela...yes. It's good.

Szarek(Will) said...

When you so tired get a nice shot of Jack Daniels...that helps...

Just do NOT drink pills with it, because then you will be real sleepy

Paul said...

movin' around
here and there,
gotta love it. (Haiku)

Claudia said...

Will, LOL! maybe a couple of shots would work?

Paul, hello and welcome Haiku genie-you've captured it for sure!

Tiggerlane said...

I'm for the shots - they will work. Trust.

I still miss my home state - and always will. Sigh.

steelhead chick said...

Welcome back to the west coast!
Maybe you should move up here...it's better but probably not enough sun for you.

Open Grove Claudia said...

I go to the gym at 5:30 am and there's no one on the road. But every single day, I stop for at least 3 lights. Wait while no one goes by, then continue on. Crazy! The only way around it is to go 20 miles over the speed limit. Yikes!

Glad you had a great trip and made it home in one piece. Enjoy the weekend!

Claudia said...

Tigger...sleeping is never a problem for me..shots or not!! I miss my home state too.

Hey Chickie!! yea, you know me..I die without some sun. Luckily, that's never been a problem when I've come to see you!

Claudia....5:30? am?? there's a good reason no one's out on the road at that time, ya know?? :) But those stoplights!! At times I think they do it on purpose to make it so you have to stop...almost like electronic speedbumps.

Robin said...

...until the day you die...

(re: your last line...)