Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

adaptation

Could  I possibly be getting used to living here after over a year?

The past few days brought awesome weather-it was actually hot and sunny-you know, what people think of when they think of Cali!! Both mornings I woke up to bright sun, eagerly opening the shades to let it inside. 

This morning, as I woke up, something wasn't right. The sun wasn't trying to sneak in around the shades. The light filtering through was dim. I got up, wondering if it was rain. I looked outside to gray mist. 

"oh, it's just the marine layer-it should clear up later this afternoon," I thought to myself, opening the shades and getting my day started without much worry. 

And then, I realized--since when does it not bring me down if I wake up to grayness? Since when does it not send me scurrying back into bed with thoughts of sleeping until the sun comes back? Since when do I accept it as par for the course that it should be misty after a few hot days? I might be getting used to living here after all.

9 comments:

Glamourpuss said...

The human race is nothing if not adaptable.

Puss

Willowtree said...

There are very few places I get nostalgic for, and you just described one of them.

Claudia said...

Glam, you mean I'm human after all? hmm...

Willow, it definitely evokes something from deep within-even when you're here!

Karmyn R said...

ha ha -

I have to laugh because while growing up my parents always complained about where they lived and couldn't wait to get back to the "wet" side of the state.

Now that they have lived 35+ years on the "dry" side they can't imagine moving back.

And I have gotten used to living on the "wet" side.... and probably won't ever move back to the "dry" side. ha ha

Jodi said...

Hey... if you are selling prints of this photo... sign me up!!! ;-)

Hauntingly beautiful...

Blathering Idiot said...

I am with Jodi - I love that photo...love it, love it, love it.

As to the greyness/fog/mist/rain? You mean there is somthing else? ;)

James Burnett said...

Kudos on settling in. I never thought I'd get used to South Florida. Now, after nearly 2.5 years, I sort of feel at home.

Robin said...

Funny how you become accustomed to a place without even realizing it.

This is definitely a mood photo...I love the feel of days like that. Mind you, I don't want dozens in a row, but every now and then? I embrace 'em.

Sounds like it's almost time for you to move ...;)

Open Grove Claudia said...

Here? In Denver? The most beautiful days - warm, clear, bright, charming - are followed by the most bitter, cold, awful weather. It never fails.

I thought I would never get used to it - but now? I enjoy the warm days and hide when it's below zero. Maybe I haven't adapted, or given in, but at least I know what to expect so I'm not so bitterly disappointed when it's shitty.