Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Whoa!!

I just experienced my first earthquake!! Sitting here at work, all of a sudden, I feel kind of light-headed and then, it seems like the floor is moving. Hmm...occasionally, my body does that to me, but only for about a second (like getting up really fast). This instead continues, and I notice that things that aren't fixed down are swaying. Ok, now I know that's not just my head.
I ask my co-worker, "Was that an earthquake???"
CW (offhandedly): oh yeah, but that was nothing.
Me: That was my first earthquake!!
CW: Really? Wait till you get a rough one where everything shakes. You better hang on then.
Me: No, that's when I run outside and throw myself on the ground.
CW: well, just don't go under anything that can fall on you, like power lines.
Me: (silence)

So, there you go...two years and I have finally experienced my first earthquake.

11 comments:

On a Limb with Claudia said...

Bitchin' eh? Now you are not an earthquake virgin! ;)

I'm glad you are all right!

WT said...

You've lived there two years, there's no way this is the first earthquake you've felt, it's just the first really big one. You've probably thought that the others were just big-rigs or something.

Ever wondered why your pictures on the wall always seem to be crooked?

Karmyn R said...

Do you know what is crazy? I had a dream that I was in an earthquake last night - I never dream stuff like that.

Blathering Idiot said...

Oh...I hate earthquakes...the one thing I dont miss about Alaska.

Claudia said...

Claudia, yep, that's one more to cross off the list!!

WT, believe it or not, this is the first one I've noticed and that has been confirmed as an earthquake (unlike that one that woke me up but absolutely no earthquake was recorded...note to self, stop smoking crack...) Anyways, ironically, every time an earthquake did hit, I was usually out of town!! True!!

Blather, this was my first. I'm glad it wasn't stronger.

Glamourpuss said...

Hmmm, do you think the two things are related?!

Puss

Jodi said...

I'm glad to hear that you braved your first earthquake! My nephew works two miles from where the epicenter of the quake occurred... he said it was really intense for a few minutes... but thankful, all is well!

May you not have to experience too many of those though!!

Doppelgänger said...

I'm just glad to hear you survive it. Of course, everytime I think of earthquakes in Cali - I think of the Laverne and Shirley episode with the earthquake when they are in bed. Very funny!

Liz said...

I was thinking about you when I heard about the earth quake yesterday - I remember my first one, it was during mass in elementary school in Ohio (weird in Ohio I know), I thought someone was kicking the pew behind me!

Jon said...

Saw it on TV. It looked more than a little scary.

Pamela said...

your response is so funny.
I had a similar feeling several years ago up several floors at work.
earthquake epicenter in Olympia Washington -- and all of us felt the building we were in sway a little - 200 miles away. My co-worker and I both thought we were having dizzy spells at first.

So - what are you going to do to celebrate all these firsts?