Pages

Sunday, January 05, 2014

New Year's Day

On New Year's Day, my family convened for the annual family New Year's meal involving lots and lots of food and drink! The night before, celebrating with my friends, I made my New Year's resolutions (which I usually eschew, just on principle) which were to spend more time outdoors and at the beach, and more time with my friends and family!

After we'd all eaten and sat around talking and laughing and the table was clear and the dishes were in the dishwasher, I took a stroll down to the beach in an effort to not break at least one of my New Year's resolutions on the first day of the year! To the north lay bright blue skies; to the south, an ominous black cloud, which looked like it was heading our way. Common sense told me to turn around before the rain started, and I thought, "BAH! I'm not turning around till I see the damn beach!" And on I walked. On the boardwalk, I could feel the sprinkling rain beginning, like the spray from a sprinkler when the wind blows. Undeterred, I walked on…

And there, right on the beach, a rainbow emerging right out of the ocean.  And so, here it was, the beginning of the year, and I was able to see a rainbow being born out of the water. I'll take that as a good sign.

**(And in case you were wondering, yes, it started raining harder. I figured I'd get drenched walking home, but who should pull up in the car to give me a ride home but one of my sisters! Yes!)

No comments: