Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Maine

I love Maine. I don't know how my fascination came to be, as I had never been there, didn't know anyone from there and hadn't even done any research on it. All I knew was that I wanted to go.  Years ago, I finally had the chance to go when I passed a licensing exam (to keep my job) and got a bonus for passing. The bonus was about a week's worth of pay.

Everyone asked, "What are you going to do with your bonus??"

"I'm going to Maine," I answered.

The reaction was mostly the same: Maine? Why? Have you been there before?

"No, I've never been. But I really want to go."

Finally, a friend, one of the supervisors, had a better question, "Where are you going in Maine?"

Oh. I hadn't thought that far ahead. All I knew was that I wanted to go to Maine. He recommended Bar Harbour. I looked it up. It was on the water and had a national park. And that was where I went. That trip is at least a blog post in itself, but let me just say that trip justified my fascination with Maine. It's magical, as far as I'm concerned.  I was able to go up a few more times since then, usually involving a work trip. Then, in 2010, I was able to spend a week there, for a workshop.

Now, here's the kicker…I went in February. Cold. Snowy. Beautiful. Still magical. 




No comments: