Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Well, La Dee DA....

Wow.
Seriously.
Just wow.
I've had my brake light out for a while and I've kept meaning to have it replaced. And I decided to look online to see if it was something complicated or could I do it myself. Turns out, it's really simple! The hardest part is taking the cover off to find the brake light.
So, I drove off to the local auto store, and as I pulled up, I decided to go ahead and check my air filter while I was at it. It wasn't terrible, but it was dirty and had a bit of wood chip stuck in it. I decided to replace that as well (especially since I've noticed my gas mileage has slipped a bit recently...)
I went in, and the girl working there helped me find the air filter and the bulb and for $22 walked out in less than 10 minutes. I replaced the air filter immediately as I had taken it in to compare.
As I drove off, I could feel the difference already. My car was happier.
Next came the brake light. I headed to my sister's, replaced the bulb, then called her to help me test it (pretty hard to press the brake light and see if it's actually coming on by yourself.)
It worked! Bingo!thankyouverymuch!
Today, out of curiosity, I decided to check just how much that would have cost had I taken it to someone to do it.
So, I looked online. Of course. And do you know that the price they showed for a brake light was about $80?!?  I paid $7.50 and got not one, but TWO bulbs! And they want to charge $80? What kind of crack is that? (now, in all fairness and full disclosure, my regular mechanic charged me just $5 last time it burned out, but I knew it was a favor and I've known him for years. But knowing that if I had taken it to someone else?! And gotten charged a ridiculous fee for a part that costs so little and the labor is less than 5 minutes. Ridiculous.)
And the air filter? Listed for $86. Are you feckin' kidding me?!  Wow.
Just wow.
I don't know how they can get away with those kinds of prices for something that takes less than 10 minutes altogether and doesn't require any special tools or knowledge, nor does it require environmentally safe elimination, such as oil.
It's good to know how to do some simple things.

No comments: