Pages

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Back to creating...something, anything

As a kid, I spent a lot of time just creating art as it moved me, with no thought to whether it was good or no- the whole point was to just...  do. Then, I lost it, I started to critique whether it was good or not, and I usually did this at the very beginning of the page. So, needless to say, I'd get a few doodles down and then stop, because it wasn't "good enough."

However, going back to that process of creating, I have realized that there are no mistakes-I'm creating for the art of creating, not for anything else. That means everything is good enough, there are no mistakes, the key is to just keep going. This above is my first completed page in, oh, over 25 years- and through it, I had to work through my own insecurities because I got stuck. I got to places I didn't know how to move forward. I reached places that the old voices came back, saying this isn't good enough, better to start another, better, piece. And I had to push that aside and just keep working. Just keep doing. In "The War of Art" Pressfield writes about working through the doubt, through the shit, through it all. And he's right. Work through your own resistance, because the point is to do the work. Just do it. Don't worry about how good it is, or how crap it is. Just keep doing. Follow the music of your soul through the process, go with the flow. And when you get stuck, don't give up, because you will get stuck. Maybe you can put it down and come back to it later. I didn't finish the piece above in one sitting. I don't have that kind of time, like I did as a kid. So, you let the process work through you. Put it down, come back to it later. Work through the doubt. Through the critic inside telling you it's crap. Maybe it is! Maybe it's not. Doesn't matter. The point is to just work through it, and you may end up surprising yourself at the final product.

No comments: